Delicious fudges and baked sweet goodies are a must at Christmas time. I have always had a weakness for all things sweet and love my baking days making them all. This year I decided to ‘jar’ my fudge recipe, the jars can then decorated as you wish to make simple stocking filler gifts. I printed off a simple Christmas gift label to attach to the jar with a re printed lid.
Have a go at home, but be warned, this recipe is not suitable for anybody trying to loose weight before Christmas!
Ingredients: 454g can of condensed milk; 100g butter, 500g brown sugar; 70ml cream; pinch of salt.
- Prepare a tin, by lining with greaseproof paper- a 15cm x 25cm swiss roll tin works well.
- Place all ingredients in a pan an heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously and scraping the base of the pan. Take care while the mixture boils and during stirring as the fudge will be VERY hot! To see if it’s ready, drop a little of the mixture into a jug of ice-cold water. A soft ball of fudge should form. Alternatively, check with a sugar thermometer if you have one (the fudge should be approximately 118°C).
- Remove the fudge from the heat and beat until it’s very thick and starting to set (this should take about 10 minutes).
- Pour into the prepared tin and leave to cool before cutting into squares.