Summer here in Spain is a season of juicy ripe fresh fruits, pool parties and of course BBQ’s, lots of them. What is there not to love about entertaining friends and family on these lazy long Spanish summer evenings.
So much so, we thought we would help your party along with one of our favourite delicious summer cupcake cocktail bakes to spice things up a little.
Try them they are easy, fun and delicious Why not let your imagination run wild and even create an idea or two of your own.
BOOZY MOJITO CUPCAKES
- 170g self-raising flour
- 20g cornflour
- 115g unsalted butter
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 120ml buttermilk
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 12 large mint leaves, finely chopped
For the syrup
- 50g caster sugar
- 20ml water
- 10g unsalted butter
- 60ml rum (Victoria used spiced rum)
- 3 mint leaves
For the icing
- 60g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 5tbsp icing sugar
- 2tbsp lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 12 mint leaves finely chopped
- 1tsp of rum
You will also need:
- Cocktail stick
- Large piping bag
- Straws (optional decoration)
If you can’t find buttertmilk add 1tbsp lemon juice to 115ml of milk and leave to stand for 10 mins
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and line a muffin tray with 12 cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat again.
- Add the vanilla extract, lime zest and juice and beat, mint and buttermilk, then slowly stir in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup: add all the ingredients to a small pan and simmer until all the sugar has dissolved and leave to cool slightly. When the cupcakes are cool, make holes in the cupcakes by pushing a cocktail stick down into the cakes,. Spoon one teaspoon of syrup onto the holes on each cake.
- To make the icing: add all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix until smooth. Add to a large piping bag and pipe a plain swirl on the top. Decorate the cakes with sprigs of mint and lime zest.